When given the opportunity to meet with sellers, ask them why they are selling. The reason could be anything, such as a job change to a new location or financial problems. If you can solve their problem, whether it is cash related or time related, do so. For example, if the sellers are highly motivated because they need to move quickly, give them a fast sale – and a lower price. If you can make an offer, even a low one, that gives them cash in a short time, they are more likely to accept.
There are also some sellers that you should avoid. Not every seller is as genuinely motivated as they make themselves to be. Some possible hints:
- they stall on having the home appraised or inspected
- they are unable to clear up liens against their property
- they do not own 100% of their property
- they push back the move-out date
- they do not have a replacement property or back up plan
It is impossible to find the perfect seller. But it is possible to find out which sellers are legit and which ones aren’t.